Come Celebrate With US!
The 49th Annual Earth Day
Monte Sano State Park Picnic Area
Saturday, April 20th, 2019 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Local Music with Microwave Dave, Musgrove Sessions, and Wolves a Howlin”
- A Predatory Bird Show and Release
- A NASA Weather Balloon Release
- Walk and Listen to Southern Appalachian Herbal Lore.
- Enjoy Healthy Food & Shop Our Farmer’s Market & Outfitters
- And learn about the Agencies and Non Profit Groups are doing
- to Protect Our Natural Environment—
Sign up for trips, hikes, and workshops
Brought to you by The Flint River Conservation Association, and Monte Sano State Park
(Native Tree Giveaway to the first 200 folks)
Children are especially wanted to learn about the Stewardship of the Earth.
Gate Fee for Families is $10 per van or car load.
49th Earth Day at Monte Sano State Park Schedule
10 a.m. Earth Day begins! Happening all day–
• Musical groups: Microwave Dave, Musgrove Sessions, Wolves a’ howlin
• Hands on activities–Make your own native plant mud bomb–all sorts of activities with Earth Scope Teachers, a paleontologist (fossil guy)–Sliterin, with reptiles and amphibians, Build a Bat House, and MORE!
• LOCAL FARMER’s MARKET!!–Live Animals!
• Many exhibitors–Outfitters, Conservation Groups, Subaru –the only automotive giant certified by The National Wildlife Federation.
• Family Mountain Bike ride to O’Shaughnessy Point—bring bike and helmet.
10:30 Paleontology (Our Local Fossils) with Richard Keyes-with fossils to share11:00 Birds of Prey Show (Amphitheatre) with Alabama Wildlife Center, and after a raptor release into the State Park at the Scenic Overlook.
11–2 Food Trucks Available by Picnic Pavilion
12:00 Slitherin’—Andy Cantrell with native reptiles and amphibians
12:30 Family Bike Ride to O’Shaughnessy Point (with Trailhead Bikes &
Alabama Bike Coalition—Meet At their Table in Outdoor Gear Area)
1:00 Microwave Dave plays the blues and lots more in Amphitheatre. Wolves a Howlin’ and Musgrove Session at Large in Picnic Area
2:00 Appalachian Herbalism in the Pavilion with Ashley Kellow followed by an herb discovery walk—bring camera!
2:30 NASA Weather Balloon Release with SWIRL at the Scenic Overlook
3:00 Event ends but all are invited to stay and enjoy Monte Sano State Park